Friday, February 18, 2011

A Story About Racism

I started this blog because, I feel racism is still a big issue in our society. Maybe not as big as it used to be, but it is still an issue. You just don't hear very much about it. The KKK is alive and growing in astounding numbers in the United States. Racism is not just about black and white. Racism and prejudice extends to a lot of different areas. People can be racist or prejudice against all races and different lifestyle choices.
Children learn prejudice behaviors from their parents. Parents plant the seed in their little ones by their actions or the words they use. Children don't see people as being different because of their skin color until someone teaches them to be prejudice. As parents, we are the ones who can change our children's lives by setting a good example for them by teaching them we are all the same regardless of our race, culture or sexual orientation. I worry about my children as they get older. I am sure they will experience someone being racist against them, because they are half Iraqi. My oldest daughter says, middle eastern children experience a lot of racism in high school here. I am not looking forward to the day when they reach high school and have to experience someone being racist against them. I think to a certain extent my son has experienced racism and just hasn't said anything about it. If you tell him he is Iraqi, he will say "no I am not, I don't speak Arabic and I live in America. Where did he learn that from? Not from home. I have taught them who they are and it is nothing to be ashamed of.

There is a comment someone left the other day in response to one of my posts, I would like to share with you. I felt it was important to share this with you because, it is a perfect example of children still experiencing racism that should never happen.

 "Did he respond? That is so ridiculous. So sorry you guys had to deal with someone lacking a brain. And kids aren't even exempt. My kids were walking 2 blocks to the corner gas station just yesterday and got called "N"s by a white lady in a car, who took the time to slow down, roll down her window, and yell at them to hurry up across the crosswalk. My kids are smart alecs and my son said back to her, "No ma'am, we are actuall half-N's." We had a big racism discussion at home last night. People amaze me too..and make me sick."

To me that is ignorance. A grown woman using racial slurs against a child. That is really immature and ignorant in my book. Children or adults should never have to experience someone being racist against them because of their skin color. God created all humans in his image and said Love Thy Neighbor. Do some people just believe it means love thy white neighbor? I don't think so.

Young teens come out with being gay and get teased or sometimes beaten to death, because of their sexual orientation. I see people as people, regardless of their race or sexual orientation. People are people, it is as simple as that. I allow my daughter to date whom ever she wishes as long as they are someone who stays out of trouble and isn't going to bring her down with them. That is all I ask from her. It doesn't matter if they are purple, red, black, whatever. I raised my children teaching them that everyone is the same, regardless of race or sexual orientation and that it is okay to love in different ways as long as your happy.

 I will always love and support my children no matter what their choices may be. They will receive my love unconditionally.There are a lot of children out there who never break away from their parents racist ways and develop their own values. In turn, they turn out to be racist and live by the same prejudice values they learned from their parents. This is the year 2011, it is time for racism to end.

If you would like to be a guest writer on my blog to share your stories and experiences, send me an email and I will add you as a guest writer. By sharing your experiences, you may actually change someones point of view and if sharing your experiences changes one person, you have made a difference. It is time to stop sweeping racism and prejudice under the rug.

7 comments:

  1. Such a sad story, but it happens all too often. Thanks so much for sharing your stories and pain... not many people have the courage to speak up about it!

    New follower from MBC! Would love for you to stop by and return the favor :)

    Cristi
    http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for promoting awareness about something I believe fractures our society. It is so important we continue to bring this conversation into the public realm. It is in our diversity that we are able to be resourceful and successful in creating a world where true freedom exists. Keep speaking out!

    Following you back from MBC! Would love to have you stop by sometime.

    http://www.theresagrisanti.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything you wrote, and unfortunately my family has seen a fair share. I grew up in a small town in Northern Calif (too many stories in itself!), and moved there with my first husband and we had 3 of our 4 children there. We eventually moved to a larger, more diverse city, partly due to what we always had to deal with. Luckily I live in an area that is very diverse now that I don't have to deal with it SO much. But as you can see by my comment you referenced, it still exists everywhere. Thank you for writing about this subject - Racism has not been cured in our country by any means.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad that in these supposedly enlightened
    times, racism is still an issue.

    I'm a new follower from Social Parade on Friday! I would love it if you followed back at -
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an eye opener for me! This is so sad. I'm glad there are people like you who will stand for what is right.

    I'm following from the entourage.

    ecwrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete