Wednesday, February 16, 2011

You can't even escape racism at the grocery store.

My husband was off today, so we decided to go grocery shopping so we wouldn't have to do it Saturday morning. We pull into the Kroger parking lot and park. As we were getting the pop bottles out of the back of the truck, a older white women looks at my husband and asks him "Were you in my car? I can't find my keys." Now, why would she be asking him? We had just pulled in the parking spot and had gotten out when she asked him. Which I am sure she saw as she was walking to her car. It couldn't have possibly anything to do with her misplacing them. The black man must have taken her keys. People amaze me.

4 comments:

  1. Did he respond? That is so ridiculous. So sorry you guys had to deal with someone lacking a brain. And kids aren't even exempt. My kids were walking 2 blocks to the corner gas station just yesterday and got called "N"s by a white lady in a car, who took the time to slow down, roll down her window, and yell at them to hurry up across the crosswalk. My kids are smart alecs and my son said back to her, "No ma'am, we are actuall half-N's." We had a big racism discussion at home last night. People amaze me too..and make me sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We both laughed at her and said, NO. OMG, that's terrible. It's hard to believe people are ignorant enough to say something like that to children. That's funny your son said something back. I'm sure it made him feel a little better about it. Kids shouldn't ever have to go through that. Kids don't see color and I wish adults didn't either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that people can be so ignorant.It is nice that you both were able to laugh about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe she was just confused? That sounds a lot like what happens when older people's minds start to go.

    ReplyDelete