Thursday, May 3, 2012

Junior Seau's Death and the Media

Junior Seau's death was a surprise to a lot sports fans. But, do they really need to keep playing his poor mother's gut  wrenching speech talking about the death of her son. I keep hearing the sound track and the video being played over and over again. The media has a way of rubbing things in.

As I was driving my son to school this morning and of course on my way they play his mother breaking down during her speech to the press. It is totally gut wrenching to listen to her. I get a lump in my throat every time I hear it played. I think most mothers can sympathize with her pain. You never imagine burying your child. It has to be a terrible loss to lose your own child to suicide. It has to be even more difficult when it is a death that can be avoided. The media keeps playing it over and over again. There is another way they can report the story. How about high lighting his career in the NFL? 

Rumor has it that Junior Seau shot himself in the chest to preserve his brain to be tested. So, the NFL and everyone can see exactly what damage was caused to his brain from playing football. Football players receive repeated damage to their brains from all blows to the head during their career and the repeated concussions they get from the vigorous blows to the head.  

Anytime a life is lost to suicide is a horrible tragedy for the people left behind, whether it be an athlete or just your average person who feels their life is no longer worth living. But, please stop replaying his mother breaking down. Leave the poor woman alone and as I sit here writing about the tragedy Seau's mother has experienced, they play it again on the morning news. 

No comments:

Post a Comment