Friday, July 29, 2011

Back To School


It's hard to believe Monday is August 1st already. Where did the summer go? It seems like summer just began and it's almost over. It's hard to believe I will be doing school shopping in a couple of weeks. School shopping is one of my most dreaded things I have to do. It is a massive shopping trip. My children can very rarely fit anything from the year before. It is like with all the sunshine and playing outside they grow like weeds over the summer months. I think sometimes they grow more over the summer months than they do all year round.
 Not only do you have to buy a new wardrobe, it is  constant reminder of how little the schools provide for the students anymore. It makes you wander where your tax money goes. The list is endless from the typical pens and pencils to the tissues and even Clorox Wipes for the classroom. I remember when I was growing up, the schools asked for the basics like pens, pencils, and note books. Plus, that's when kids used things like the comic section or brown paper bags to cover our books with.  Now, they want actual book covers and  everything under the sun and then more. Asking parents to donate things like paper towels, tissues, and hand sanitizers.
I remember when my son was in the first grade, his teacher drove us nuts with her requests. She would ask for more supplies than he could even use in one year. Later, I found out that she was taking the school supplies and putting them in the supplies cabinet and distributed them to the classroom. I figured that out when I called her, because she sent a request home for more school supplies half way through the year. She socked it to the parents who would send in school supplies. I wouldn't be surprised if the schools didn't start sending bills home for books. That will probably be next.

No comments:

Post a Comment